On the northwestern edge of the Venetian Port of Chania is the Firka fortress built to protect the harbor entrance. In the fort were the headquarters of the military governor of the city. Internally there were barracks and war materials warehouses.
The west wing buildings are constructed on two floors and in the center of the courtyard there is a large tank that collects the water from the roofs. During the Turkish occupation, the Firkas was used as barracks and as a prison and in our time, it is honored with the anniversary of December 1, the date of union of Crete with Greece in 1913, a celebration and ceremony by displaying the Greek flag.