The Municipal Market, the huge building of 4,000 m² in the surrounding 17,200 square meters, is the “heart” of the city. Property and original thought is not only a great business center, but also a concrete illustration of the idea of the Agora of Ancient Greece. On 08.08.1908 the authority responsible for Market Committee announces to the Council the final draft of the building, the proposals for work (breaking of the fort, filling the trench, compensation to owners, construction sheds, etc.) and budget costs of the project (320.000 drs.).
The official inauguration took place by the then Prime Minister of Greece El. Venizelos on December 4, 1913, three days after the official ceremony of the Union of Crete with Greece.